Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 23:09:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        ianh@saturn-tech.com (Ian Hungerford)
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thread safe libc

Ian Hungerford wrote:
> OK, I'm on the job. :)

Great.

> Some clarification is necessary for the second part, though.  Should the
> replacements for statics be allocated using thread specific data
> (destroyed when the thread terminates) or malloc() (with the caller
> assuming responsibility for the free() call)?  I prefer the first method -
> the latter is indescribably ugly, and programs that want to pass pointers
> to these objects between threads should simply use the new _r functions.

Like you, I prefer that the replacements for the statics be allocated
with thread specific data, then they call the appropriate _r function.
This allows the code to behave within each thread as though that thread
were the only one.

I don't think we should worry too much about how the replacements for
the statics behave *between* threads, because a threaded program
should really be using the _r functions.

> ---
> Ian

Regards,

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@netbsd.org; jb@freebsd.org
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137