Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:07:24 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        Alan Jay <alan@cyclopsvision.co.uk>
Cc:        "'Jonathan A. Dama'" <jd@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Subject:   Re: Possible problems with Broadcom BCM5704C 10/100/1000 on Tyan Motherboard

Alan Jay wrote:

> Thanks Jonathan for this, can I ask the unmentionalble (which Linux
> implementation did you pick?).
>
> I had major problems installing with more than 4Gb but once I moved to stable
> we seemed to have a stable platform when doing basic stuff - we have two
> databases (mySQL) one is reasonably heavily used and one very extensively
> used.  They sit on different servers to maximise performance.  One worked
> perfectly for a couple of weeks while the other more extensive one repeatedly
> fell over.
>
> I think I agree wholeheartedly with your comments being a great supporter of
> FreeBSD it is a shame that the AMD release is not as super as the other
> versions we have used extensively.
>
> Thanks for your support.
>
> Regards
> ALan

The >4GB problems with 5.3-RELEASE are a well known problem and affect
for i386 and amd64.  It's pretty much fixed in the 5.3-STABLE stream,
but there are a few edge cases that I still need to fix which prevent me
from feeling good about turning it into a 5.3-R errata fix.  It'll
definitely be fixed and fully working for 5.4-RELEASE next month.

Scott