Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 19:13:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Dave VanAuken <dave@hawk-systems.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Alarm clock ?

I know I use this feature in Perl to do timeouts with SIGALRM.  Basically,
you wrap a block of code around calls to alarm().  If the code does not
return in the alotted amount of time, a SIGALRM is thrown.  If the code
doesn't catch it, the program usually dies with the message "Alarm clock".
So, to make a long story short, this is probably a script timing out.

If that is the case, and you don't want to see these messages anymore,
create a handler for SIGALRM.

Joe Clarke