Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 1997 10:38:04 -0800
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, srn@flibble.psrg.cs.usyd.edu.au, freebsd-platforms@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Some one working on a SPARC version?

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Porting FreeBSD to other architectures is more than just using a ports
> > tree and adapting the VM.
>
> It is?

The different kernel interfaces, the devices driver structure...I find
it difficult to understand how people actually ignore the great userland
changes made in FreeBSD. Diffs between FreeBSD versions are not followed
instantly by NetBSD or viceversa, and it's not a secret that FreeBSD is
a bit more aggresive when bringing changes in. In fact when I said we
should get some code from NetBSD I was thinking of their emulation
support, more than anything else.

> > We must keep our stuff to retain our identity
>
> Why?  What's so nifty about our identity?

(Yes there was a smiley there, but I don't recall a wink). No
"Aristotilian mean" involved, perhaps you could call it a Zen mean; both
Net and FreeBSD will always have a "BSD spirit" (I don't really know how
to express it, but I guess it is in part represented by the FreeBSD
icon) and you could say this brings us very near indeed. The wink was
there to remember there are slight but significant differences between
these systems.
John Birrell seems to suggest one day all BSD currents will join and
live happily together crushing Windows NT and Linux altogether. Well,
we'd all like that, but it is far from happening: NetBSD doesn't want
our ports tree (one more reason for OpenBSD's existance?), and they
probably don't want our VM either. Add to this that we don't even unify
our criteria as to where each program should go, or how the tree is
distributed and it will be evident we are diverging each day.

Pedro.