Date:      Thu, 13 May 2021 22:24:41 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        freebsd-fs <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, "lev@FreeBSD.org" <lev@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   =?Windows-1252?Q?Re:_autofs_+_default_/net_map_+_NFS4_=97_how_to=3F?=

Lev wrote:=0A=
>On 14.05.2021 0:10, Rick Macklem wrote:=0A=
>=0A=
>> lev wrote:=0A=
>> [stuff snipped]=0A=
>>> I could mount "blob:/home" or "blob:/ports" with mount -t nfs like this=
:=0A=
>>>=0A=
>>> # mount -t nfs -o nfsv4,tcp blob:/home /mnt=0A=
>> Oh, and you might want to consider using "minorversion=3D1" (or even 2=
=0A=
>> if/when you are running FreeBSD13 or later).=0A=
>> NFSv4.1 (and 4.2) are much better protocols than NFSv4.0 and the=0A=
>> implementations should now be pretty solid, so long as you avoid=0A=
>> enabling delegations (off by default).=0A=
>=0A=
>  Could it be done on server-side? I don't want to touch all clients. Like=
 "Prefer 4.2, but >allow 4.0 too"?=0A=
Not for the FreeBSD client. The Linux client uses the highest minor version=
 supported=0A=
by both client and server unless the "minorversion" option is used to speci=
fy=0A=
what minor version is to be used.=0A=
=0A=
When I first did NFSv4.1 I did not do this, because I considered in experim=
ental.=0A=
Now, this would be nice to do, but I suspect it would be considered a POLA=
=0A=
violation.=0A=
--> Maybe I will ask on an email list to see if the "collective" thinks thi=
s is a=0A=
      good idea. In any case, this is not the case now.=0A=
=0A=
>> - NFSv4.1 was a minor revision in name only. The RFC is only 500+ pages =
long.=0A=
>  "only"! :)=0A=
Yea. I still find things in the RFC that I did not know about.=0A=
Btw, 4.2 was a relatively minor change from 4.1, with all the new operation=
s being=0A=
optional to implement. Things like "copy file range locally in the server",=
=0A=
SEEK_DATA/SEEK_HOLE that are optionally added to the server.=0A=
=0A=
rick=0A=
=0A=
--=0A=