Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:07:58 -0700
From:      "Torben K. Jensen" <Torben@ArchimedeSoft.com>
To:        FreeBSD Q&A List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   4.2-STABLE (Feb 20): mkfifo function hangs?

My question is simple: Could there be situations when the mkfifo
function might hang? I am currently developing a daemon which uses a
named pipe to communicate with any second instances of it the user might
attempt to start. The behavior indicating a hangup occurs when the
daemon is started, has created the fifo, opened the file for reading and
then for some reason dies disgracefully. If I subsequently try to start
up my daemon again, the very same mkfifo call apparently hangs (at least
that's where DDD tells me it does). I would expect it to return an error
code instead.
If anyone is interested in looking at this, but would like to see some
source code, please let me know.

Thanks for you time,
--
Torben K. Jensen