Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 10:45:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
To:        "Havener,  Kevin" <Kevin.Havener@afccc.af.mil>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.4, Lyx-1.0.4, teTeX-1.0.6, packages and ports

Hi,

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Havener,  Kevin wrote:

> Question 1:  What is the right answer if make asks me which "file to
> patch: "?  Shouldn't make know (at least have a default answer for
> this?

This is a sign that your ports tree is out of sync w/ the distfile of the
source you grabbed.  I'm surprised that the checksums passed actually,
although authors do occasionally change things wo/ bumping the version
number.  The right answer is "update your ports tree" w/ CVSup.  Or at
least go down the particular port tree for the software you want to
install (and all of its dependencies).

> Question 2:  Am I experiencing a normal amount of trouble with the
> "packages" on the 3.4 official disks? 40 Mb is a lot to download (plus
> the xemacs stuff also not included on the disks)!

It's hard to say.  What problems (specifically) did you have (you weren't
very specific in your email)?  You said LyX couldn't find latex - was
latex installed, ie could you manually run latex?  Was it in your path?
Did it work for regular users and root or just root?  Lots of
possibilities here we can't nail down.

I have used LyX from packages and from the port and both worked flawlessly
(and I use LaTeX for all my writing other than a tiny bit of HTML and of
course text for email). :-)

> Question 3:  Should I forego the *upgrade* option when I get my 4.0
> disks and just reinstall?

By upgrade, do you mean the binary upgrade option or "make world?"  I've
heard that the binary upgrade is always a bit suspect although I've done
it once and it worked.  Make world seems to be the preferred way or a
fresh install.  If you can save all of your important data, a fresh
install may be the way to go.  If not, I would recommend CVSup.

Dr. Brett Taylor         brett@peloton.runet.edu    *
Dept of Chem and Physics			    *
Curie 39A	(540) 831-6147                      *
Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics		    *
Walker 234	(540) 831-5410			    *