Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 1997 19:41:48 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "John J. Rushford Jr." <wjjr@klondike.alisa.org>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   b

Amancio Hasty Jr. <hasty@antispam.com> wrote:
> Try to post to multimedia@freebsd.org for questions regarding audio drivers, etc...

> The latest sound driver snapshot  which supports the sb16 pnp  and guspnp is at:

> ftp://rah.star-gate.com/pub/guspnp16.tar.gz

>    Have fun,
>     Amancio

Well, I downloaded guspnp17.tar as guspnp16.tar.gz was not there.  Anyway,
I used this software in place of what came on the FreeBSD 2.2.2 CD ie,
/sys/i386/isa/sound.  Still no luck.  In fact, this driver is worse.
Following is what I did/discovered:

I have a Soundblaster 16 PnP board configured thusly:

    Audio interface base I/O address = 0x220
    Audio interface IRQ = 9
    Low DMA channel = 1
    High DMA channel = 5
    MPU-401 UART interface base I/O = 0x330

    NOTE:  IRQ was changed to 9 from 5 because I have a Logitech bus mouse
	   using IRQ 5

My Freebsd 2.2.2 machine has a 50MB DOS 6.2 partition with windows 3.11.
Using 'booteasy', I booted to DOS so that I could use the manufacturer's
software to configure the Sound Blaster card to the above settings.  I
ran the manufactures test software and all the above settings passed with
no conflicts.

Next I re-booted back to FreeBSD Unix and configured a kernel using:

   controller	 snd0
   device sb0	 at isa? port 0x220 irq 9 conflicts drq 1 vector sbintr
   device sbxvio at isa? drq 5
   device sbmidi0	at isa? port 0x330

After compiling the kernel, I tested the sound card using a wave file with
splay and got the following error:

   Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?

At this point, I noticed that my bus mouse, IRQ 5, ceased to function.
I then re-built the kernel using:

   controller	 snd0
   device sb0	 at isa? port 0x220 irq 9 conflicts drq 1 vector sbintr
   device sbxvio at isa? drq 5
   device sbmidi0	at isa? port 0x330
   options SBC_IRQ=9

and had the same results, my bus mouse ceased to function again as well.  After
deleting this driver from the kernel, the system is back to normal with
a functioning mouse but no sound card.

I examined /sys/i386/isa/sound/sound_config.h and noticed significant
changes from the original.  It looks like you can no-longer #define SBC_IRQ,
or SBC_DMA.

Have you any more suggestions.

regards
John Rushford