Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2007 17:24:55 +0100
From:      Adam J Richardson <fatman@crackmonkey.us>
To:        Chris Maness <chris@chrismaness.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange rsync issue

Chris Maness wrote:
> I am experiencing a very strange issue when I sync up my FreeBSD file
> server with my windows box using rsync.  It seems as though the windows
> files end up read only in a way that I can't change back to read write
> using the standard windows tools, even if I delete it and create it
> again, very wierd.  I can use the --no-p flag to keep it from copying
> these perms over to the FreeBSD box.
>
> Thanks,

Hi Chris.

I don't have any experience of rsync, having been scared off it by every
internet article and book ever written. I can suggest some alternatives
though, if no one can help you out.

Have you tried scp? IIRC that does something similar. There's probably a
free Windows version. FileZilla does SFTP, so if you have a SSH daemon
on your file server you could get files that way. How about Bacula, a
very good backup system which has Windows clients? One thing I don't
recommend is Samba, which IMO is horrible to configure and doesn't
preserve file attributes.

NFS is good too, but I haven't been able to find a decent free client.
Unix Services for Windows almost trashed my entire XP partition. I'm not
trying that again, and I spent ages downloading it too. :/

HtH,
Adam J Richardson