Date:      Thu, 02 Oct 1997 10:12:09 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>, andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSUP vs. SNAPS

But it results from an essential confusion as to what "2.2" means.

2.2 is the branch ID, it's not 2.2.0 as Rod seems to see it and hence
there's no "decrease" in the release number (if you had to think of it
strictly numerically then 2.2 would be equivalent to 2.2.x, where x =
infinity :).

To put it another way, we have 3 branches right now:

2.1	AKA 2.1-stable
2.2	AKA 2.2-stable
3.0	AKA 3.0-current

And I would expect all branches to have their BRANCH variable in
/sys/conf/newvers.sh set accordingly except for those brief periods
when an actual release was going out, at which point it would briefly
transition to RELEASE.  Suddenly inventing 2.2.5-stable would be a
tragic mistake since it leads in turn to the suggestion that there's a
RELENG_2_2_5 branch tag to go with it which, of course, there is not.

					Jordan