Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 1995 10:33:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        nate@trout.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        rkw@dataplex.net, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/conf Makefile.i386

> > >But, *IF* both the src dist and /usr/include directories exist, the
> > >include files are pulled out of /usr/src/include if they exist and
> > >/usr/include next.  (Which should never happen since /usr/src/include
> > >should always contain all of the necessary include files which aren't in
> > >the /usr/src/sys tree)
> >
> > I think that this is bogus behavior.
> >
> > If a file is missing from /usr/src/include, I don't want it to be
> > "magically" found.
>
> First of all, there are only two include files that are used that aren't
> in /usr/src/sys (for the genassym program and for one source file), so
> it's not a critical problem, and second of all if you don't want to
> worry about /usr/include stuff being picked up, do a 'mv /usr/include
> /usr/include.old' before building your kernel.

The rule for genassym's should be changed such that it always uses
/usr/include/stdio.h, that is the correct file to use, period, as
it is going to be linked and run against /usr/lib/libc.a at the time
the kernel is compiled.  This will be extreamly important for cross
compilation in the future.

For now I am willing to live with what Nate did do the impact it has
on our standard user base to do otherwise.  We do need to look at
better ways for fixing this, but as Nate said, until then this is a
reasonable way to solve the problem.