Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 17:27:18 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        zhihuizhang <bf20761@binghamton.edu>
Cc:        Bill Hamilton <billh@finsco.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partition with Partition Magic

In the last episode (Feb 04), zhihuizhang said:
> The nine partitions are (in order) FAT, Extended, Linux Ext2, Linux
> Ext2, Linux Ext2, Linux Ext2, Linux Swap, NTFS (I guess this is for
> NT), and FAT.  The last one is free to use, I use PartitionMagic to
> format it and set it to be FAT.
>
> It seems to me that partition and extended partion are different. If I run
> fdisk, there are only two items:
>
> C: 1   PRI-DOS    31M
>    2   EXT-DOS  6119M
>
> So, linux and NT must be put into the EXT-DOS part.
>
> If this is bad arragement, can you tell me how to do this from
> scratch?  I still want to put Linux and NT on that machine as well.

If you can, remove that spare FAT partition, and rearrange the other
partitions so that the freespace is _not_ inside any extended-partition
containers (Partition Magic should let you do this).  That should let
FreeBSD see and install into it.  FreeBSD wants to install into
unpartitioned freespace, and must live in a primary partition.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com