Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 1995 00:19:34 -0700
From:      nate@sneezy.sri.com (Nate Williams)
To:        ROBIN@ptnsct.nis.za (Robin Hunt)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Drive question, try # 2

> 2 Meg caching IDE controller and (currently) on 540 meg conner driver.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> until I select (P)roceed. Then it just halts. At this point it has added
> the partition table and disklabel. If I run newfs on it, that also works,
> fsck does too. I am then able to mount the drive. However, if I then umount
> the drive and reboot, the fsck fails with "BAD MAGIC NUMBER", and the drive
> is effectively trashed.

I suspect a bad interaction with the caching controller and FreeBSD.
The controller may require special setup which is done by the BIOS under
DOS, or it just may be that the data isn't flushed out to disk.

> Please, I would appreciate a few suggestions...

Is there anyway you can swap the controllers and see if that makes any
difference?  Borrow a friends cheapo $15 controller if they'll let you
and try re-installing.

Nate