Date:      Sun, 19 Feb 2017 15:20:49 +0100
From:      Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass@gmx.com>
To:        Kurt Jaeger <lists@opsec.eu>
Cc:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: unionfs and nullfs combination

Hi Kurt,

On 02/19/2017 12:56 PM, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> We had this running with FreeBSD 6.x, but unionfs had issues,
> among them the whiteout problem.

I am not sure exactly when unionfs was re-written...

Sometime during 7-CURRENT but I am not sure if everything was
backported to 6.

>> It seems like a very relevant feature nowadays, when people
>> use all these cloud-based systems, which oftentimes have little
>> resources to run ZFS and UFS is most likely a better choice...
>
> Funny, I have the impression that disk space, RAM and CPU are
> plenty compared to the past, so I would prefer ZFS anytime now.
> Our next jail box will probably use ZFS dedup with lots of RAM.

Very true. And I love ZFS.

I am talking about cloud installations where VM are created and
destroyed in a fast pace and are mostly small like 1GB of RAM.
UFS is very relevant for such installations. And being able to
be cloud-friendly is a good thing:)

Nikos