Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 1996 10:25:02 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@scotty.masternet.it>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: * 3c589c still doesn't work *

> I have tried to reproduce the success of mr. Lehey with his notebook and
> the 3com 3c589c pcmcia but without arriving at nothing. My pcmcia don't
> want to be seen by all the kernel I have tried with.

Umm, I suspect you may actually get kernel crashes with your system.
I'm going to fix things so that a person can't have the 'dedicated'
drivers (zp/ze) and the generic PCCARD support in the same kernel.

> The cards was seen and worked with the OLD PAO packages, but crashed a lot
> of times so I'd like to try with a plain enviroment first.  Btw I have
> downloaded the new PAO too .... :-)

I hope you had a different config file than you've shown.

One of the problems with the 'decidated' drivers (which you are setup to
use) is that apparently the 3Com configuration program won't work under
Win95 and older versions of DOS, and it's necessary to run that program
to determine how the card is configued.  I have DOS 6.2 running on my
box and it works fine, but others haven't had much luck.

In any case, you need to get an DOS boot disk and stick the
configuration program that came with your 3COM card on it.  Boot the
disk and runthe program.  It *must* complain that it can't find card
services, and then continue using card-level support.  At that point,
print out the values stored in the card (including the IOMEM value which
isn't configurable).

Use these values in UserConfig at boot time to tell the zp driver what
the card is configured for, and it should work fine.

Nate