Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 17:12:56 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        mestery@visi.com
Cc:        Robert Swindells <rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk>, jabley@patho.gen.nz, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 32-bit sparc port

mestery@visi.com wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Robert Swindells wrote:
>
> > I am more interested in getting FreeBSD running on my StrongARM system
> > though since it is more like a PC.
> >
> > My feeling is that it makes more sense to concentrate on porting FreeBSD
> > to other PCI bus systems than to add support for extra bus types.
> >
> I began an attempt at this (porting FreeBSD to StrongARM based systems)
> last winter, but didn't make it very far.  I instead took Linux and got
> it running on our StrongARM hardware, with modifications.  I am now
> familiar enough with the StrongARM and Linux that I think I could assist
> with a StrongARM FreeBSD port.  I have some time to spend on this, also.
> If anyone else is interested, let me know.  I don't have much experience
> porting from the ground up, as Linux was already running on ARM
> hardware, but I'm learning as I go so far.:)

The Digitial Network Appliance, the "reference design" for the StrongArm,
ran a BSD variant that was reported at different times as being either
NetBSD or FreeBSD.  The truth seems to be a NetBSD-ARM kernel with some
FreeBSD utilities.  You can probably still find it floating around
somewhere.

I'd buy a NetWinder if I could get either NetBSD or FreeBSD on it.  ;^)

http://softweyr.com/                                           wes@softweyr.com