Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 08:33:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        kline@tera.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dump error

>From: Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
>Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 20:04:50 -0800 (PST)

>  Has anyone else seen this type err from dump:

>    DUMP: 64.00% done, finished in 0:30
>    DUMP: write error 236530 blocks into volume 1
>    DUMP: fopen on /dev/tty fails: Device not configured
>    DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.

More times than I want to think about.  :-{

>    Should I be looking out for a bad tape; is my drive
>    (Archive 250MB qic ) going south; or was it simply
>    overful??

I would expect that dump ran out of tape (whether because there was too
much data to back up, the medium was flaky, the drive needs to be
cleaned, or some combination of the above).

>    The fopen() error is _way_ confusing!

Well, as I recall, it arises because dump wants to ask its pet human for
assistance in swapping media... but there's no controlling tty, so it
can't do that from cron.  So in despair & frustration, it issues the
above & gives up.  [NB:  Yes, there is considerable poetic license
there.]

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621