Date:      Fri, 3 Oct 1997 14:23:38 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   EXPERIMENTAL -- snd971003b.tgz

After the sudden withdrawal of snd970930 I felt compelled to implement
auto DMA mode.

Thanks to a little bit of luck, things went much better than I
expected, and although there are still some improvements that I
plan to do, the code appears to work surprisingly better than the
previous release, fixing various problems which I was having in
the past with the OPTI and the SB16, and in general working better
also on the CS42xx

An EXPERIMENTAL snap of the new audio driver is at

	http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/snd971003b.tgz

This is mainly intended for those who want to spend some time
testing audio apps, stress the driver and send me feedback on what
works and what does not. For this reason the kernel is a little
bit verbose; don't worry if you see things like "Race!" appearing
in the logfile, it is harmless and just serves to flag some events.

If you don't have time for such testing, please DON'T download this
and wait for a next snapshot in a few days.

It is preferable if you have already had experience with previous
snaps of my driver, so that would save you some time in the
installation (you can replace the snd/ subdirectory with the one
in this distribution, and check your version of isa.c against the
patch in the README file -- there is a one-line change to isa.c to
make isa_dmastart less verbose).

I have tested this code, and have it working in full duplex, on
CS4236, CS4237, OPTI931, SB16 Vibra16.  It _should_ work with the
Ensoniq SoundscapeVIVO, Yamaha SA2 (aka YM711), and in general with
all WSS clones.

It is _NOT_ supposed to work on the SBPro or other SB2/SB3 clones.

	Cheers
	Luigi