Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2000 15:58:23 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports/ too big?

Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net> wrote:

> Fundamentally, I object to being required/expected to maintain a copy of a
> large amount of information that does not impact my system.
> I don't care about the patches to XXXXX unless I decide to install it.

     Well, this is certainly a valid complaint.  However, I'm not sure
of the source of this complaint.  Is it that you don't want the ports
tree, or that you don't want the entire ports tree just to get a couple
of ports?

     If you don't want the ports tree, you don't have to install it.

     If you just want a couple of ports, there are a few solutions.

[ The best of which is for someone to write a nice ports manager
  (perhaps two -- one for a tty and one for X11).  However, the usual
  $64K question exists: is anyone going to volunteer to write one?  ]

     For a "manual" solution, you can just grab a single port using
CVS (assuming some kind of net/modem connection, or CVS repository on
CDROM):

1. Setup (if /usr/ports doesn't exist):

	# Before you do this, set CVSROOT to something appropriate, such
	#     as a CVS server, or a CVS repository on CDROM.
	cd /usr
	cvs co -l ports

   This will only create the top-level /usr/ports directory and fill it
   with a few files (like the ports INDEX).

2. When you want to grab a particular port (e.g., "sysutils/lsof"), do:

   2a. cd /usr/ports

   2b. If the "category" directory ("sysutils" for this example) does
       not already exist, do:

	cvs update -dl sysutils

   2c. Then grab the port using:

	cvs update -d sysutils/lsof

   2d. Build port using usual procedures.

This does not, however, handle port dependencies.  You'll have to manage
those yourself.

[ Side note: does anyone know if ports/sysutils/pib can function in a
  skeletal (mostly nonexistent) /usr/ports tree?  That may be another
  solution, if it works.  ]

> Similarly, I think that it is a stupid design to require everyone to keep the
> ENTIRE history of a file (per cvs).  I have CD roms which have the old versio
> ns
> in case I need to reference them.

     Huh?  The "ENTIRE history of a file" isn't stored below
/usr/ports.  There may be some CVS control information for each port
(and you can make an argument for getting rid of this information, for
some cases), but it's just control information.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com