Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 1999 11:45:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   ktrace causes kernel panic

	Using a recent (few days) -current I had a process lock up on me
last night, so I did a 'ktrace -p whateverthepidwas' and let it run for a
while. When I issued a 'ktrace -C' in another screen, everything froze and
the kernel panic'ed. I dropped to the debugger on the console and it was
definintely ktrace that caused the panic.

	There are at least two possibilities I can think of for this
problem, one being that ktrace.out filled up the root partition (although
I'm 99% sure that I was in the expansive /usr fs at the time) or it's also
very possible that the process I was tracing exited while I was trace'ing
it. However to my mind this shoudln't have caused the kernel to panic
either way.

	If this is a known problem I won't mess with it any more, since
the circumstance that caused the problem would be near impossible to
reproduce. However if it's something that needs to be tracked down I'll do
what I can to help.

Thanks,

Doug

PS, it's a multi-processor system with an SMP kernel if that makes any
difference.
--
On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only
nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter