Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 2015 20:28:54 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        George Rosamond <george@ceetonetechnology.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Building Less?
References:  <CABx9NuRb5yOjrfM0i0pDmNzaEefdsTxByiggGm%2B-m0UW%2BK%2BbdA@mail.gmail.com> <1443104974.1224.269.camel@freebsd.org> <CABx9NuQ6pp3irW=7wjvkAEuJzmtrmNLa4fmw0XL5DKmDaC2r2A@mail.gmail.com> <CABx9NuSTZaNAoc1pKZ0Wx7YHyGwaXrr-nm2xFqgqbRyZ_6CDug@mail.gmail.com> <CANCZdfo-8yjWGzcOYXLOr0epguHiu2a9hJ%2BKKoWV8c-8JYR3tQ@mail.gmail.com> <CABx9NuR_mauNkyj9j1e_oHy3HRS6B7gm7Ew-YF9RCj5ENqHi4g@mail.gmail.com> <BA852FF5-26FF-4C86-9F90-42C5C1F8F4B4@bsdimp.com> <CABx9NuR41Ai2aSBPxT19GSpZgx%2BqphGJom9OEbhWiCqrK3w-1A@mail.gmail.com> <20150928162916.GU99677@funkthat.com> <56099A79.8020403@ceetonetechnology.com>

Crochet isn't part of the base system. If you'd like something included
with crochet, you'll need to generate a patch, or talk offline with Tim.

But it's unlikely that there will ever be a fully populated src.conf file in
the base system. It would be too much of a hassle. We've tried that in
the past, and is a big reason why we have /etc/defaults/rc.conf instead
of having a fully populated /etc/rc.conf file.

Why? Well, we could generate it on each build. mergemaster could install
it. But it would be a guaranteed merge conflict as generated files tend
to be ugly to merge. If we were to keep it up to date by hand, which
might help a little on the merging problem, it would go stale quickly.
We learned that with the src.conf.5 man page.

If we generated something and installed it in src.conf.sample, that might
be OK. However, it wouldn't be right for all platforms. The defaults are
different depending on what target you are building for. That might be
manageable though, since there are only a few of them.

Warner