Date:      Sun, 14 May 1995 16:00:06 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        hsu@clinet.fi
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/403: FreeBSD 1-compiled tcsh, bash and zsh binaries dump on vt102

>>Number:         403
>>Category:       misc
>>Synopsis:       FreeBSD 1-compiled tcsh, bash and zsh binaries dump on vt102

>	bash, zsh and tcsh print "Termcap entry too long" when setting
>terminal type to vt102 (or larger like vt220).  I don't know when this
>changed and why, I recompiled the shells on FreeBSD 2 and they work
>now.

Some termcap entries are very long.  In current libraries, tgetent() is
more careful to discard junk (mostly spaces) so that the termcap entries
are smaller than the braindamaged 1024 byte limit .  Old binaries use old
libraries so some termcap entries are larger than the limit.

>>Fix:
>
>Recompile the stuff.  I guess this isn't dangerous, just wondering
>what has changed and will it affect other programs too (none noticed
>yet)?

The termcap entries are now more complete.

Bruce