Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 2004 04:30:00 -0400
From:      bsdfsse <bsdfsse@optonline.net>
To:        bsdfsse <bsdfsse@optonline.net>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Are there step-by-step VMWare instructions?

I tried some more things I read about online, but it still locks up:

I rebuilt my kernel with "HZ=1200", and that got rid of the "rtc:
100>kern.hz" messages.

My /boot/loader.conf needed this:
    hw.ata.ata_dma="0"
which changed this message:
    ad0: WARNING - WRITE_DMA no interrupt but good status
to become this message:
    ad0: WARNING - WRITE_MUL no interrupt but good status
The machine still hangs when I start the virtual machine.

As soon as I hit the "Power on" button, FreeBSD nearly freezes.  I can
do a few things, but even after I "kill -9" vmware, the machine is still
hosed.

I really need to get VMWare to work, or else I have to reload Linux (or
Windows).  I own VMware 3.2 and 4.5 for both Windows and Linux.

Each time my machine locks up, it starts running "fsck" in the background.

Any suggestions?