Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 2010 10:20:03 GMT
From:      "joeb" <joeb@a1poweruser.com>
To:        freebsd-usb@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: usb/142876: sysinstall abort:: usb stick as source media &amp; usb stick as install target

The following reply was made to PR usb/142876; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "joeb" <joeb@a1poweruser.com>
To: <bug-followup@FreeBSD.org>,
	<fbsd1@a1poweruser.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 17:53:33 +0800

 You can cancel this PR.

 The error described in this PR has been traced down to hardware. It seems to
 matter a great deal what Revision level of the USB 2.0 standard the usb
 stick was manufactured too. When plugging the stick into a usb port on a
 FreeBSD 8.0 system a bunch of messages are displayed. One of these messages
 contains the revision level.  It seems Revision level 2.00/0.00 is only good
 for writing and reading data and causes the problem reported in this PR.

 Revision level 2.00/1.00 will allow FreeBSD to be installed on it but it is
 not recognized as bootable.
 Revision level 2.00/2.00 will allow FreeBSD to be installed on it and is
 recognized as bootable.

 A friend of mine works at a large computer store and he let me to open and
 test all the different manufactures of USB stick drives he had in stock. The
 sad part is the revision level is not printed on the stick or the packaging
 it was sold in. I used my Acer Travelmate 4220 laptop purchased in 2007 to
 test all the different sticks. The non-branded supper cheap sticks mfg'ed in
 Asia are all of the Revision level 2.00/0.00 type. The branded sticks mfg'ed
 in the USA are all of the Revision level 2.00/2.00 type and cost 25% to 50%
 more.