Date:      Fri, 3 Jul 1998 10:00:47 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        eivind@yes.no (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how about including dummynet in 2.2.7 ?

> The only problem I can see with Luigi's changes is I believe that they
> will screw the ipfw interface again (right, Luigi?)

depends on what you mean for 'screw up' ...

Because i needed some space in the structure passed to the ipfw
socket, and this size was limited to one mbuf, I reduced the number
of ports for each rule to 8, and limited the interface name length
to 10 characters.

The former will go back to 10 if this code has to go in 2.2.7, and
for the latter, does anyone have an interface name longer than 4-5
chars anyways ?

BTW in return for the shorter interface name you get constant-time
jumps in the firewall code, which allows you to build efficient
rulesets.

As for the user interface it is fully backward compatible, i have
only *added* new commands.

	cheers
	luigi