Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 16:47:04 -0000
From:      "Andy Holyer" <andyh@pavilion.co.uk>
To:        "Freebsd-Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Which PPP to use for a stand-alone router?

Hi,

I run FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE on a client's machine, which I've set up as the
router for  my LAN. Another client is about to upgrade his equipment, and
has an old 486. I'm pitching him that I'll set this up with FreeBSD to
provide him with a router/www proxy for his LAN (at the moment he has only
one machine net-connected using Dial-Up Networking.

All my software comes from the 2.2.5 CDs supplied with Greg's book.

There are a couple of queries I have.

I find that user PPP falls over occasionally (it seems to be when there's a
lot of traffic going over the link). This is OK for my purposes, but no good
at all for a client. The version of Kernel PPP supplied with 2.2.5 doesn't
allow dial-on-demand connections. My questions are:

1) Is it worth installing a more recent release in order to get on-demand
pppd going?

1a) Would this deliver better performance than using user ppp? I could
always run a cron job to see if ppp has fallen over and to restart it if
need be.

As a supplementary:

2) Is it possible to install FreeBSD so that it will boot with no Keyboard
and display attached? The punter is never going to want to log on, and it'll
make it much easier if I run samba and he can just look at logs etc using
notepad when he needs to. That way he can just leave the box locked in a
cupboard all the time.

Thanks in advance for all advice.

Andy Holyer, Learn the Internet Ltd., Lewes, UK