Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 2020 16:09:29 +0100
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Peter_Rap=C4=8Dan?= <peter.rapcan@savba.sk>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How do I tell gptzfsboot NOT to analyze other disks (or specify which disks to analyze)?

Thanks for your reply!

I believe it is some kind of bug (maybe related to to =
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/gptzfsboot-error-128-after-adding-new-d=
isks.65677/ but the solution provided there makes no difference in my =
case).

The funny thing is that the same system with the same type of disks =
worked before (with 3 data HDDS and freeNAS [11.2-Ux]) there were no =
gptzfsboot errors and the boot time was fast. After I added a 4th data =
drive and upgraded the system (freeNAS) to new version, only then I =
started getting the "gptzfsboot: error 128 lba some_block_number=E2=80=9D =
errors. However I was not able revert to the state without the errors, =
altough I tried the original version of freeNAS, with 3, 2, or 1 data =
HDD(s), I tried wiping the HDDS, removing the partition table, creating =
a new one, etc=E2=80=A6. I even tried installing freeBSD instead of =
freeNAS :-).

I am new to freeBSD=E2=80=A6 could you perhaps give me some advice how =
to troubleshoot this error?

Best,
Peter

<peter.rapcan@savba.sk <mailto:peter.rapcan@savba.sk>> wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> Is there a way to tell gptzfsboot NOT to analyze other disks (or =
specify which disks to analyze)? (My system is on PATA disk(s) while the =
data disks are SATA, hence there is no use to probe the SATA disks to =
search for a bootable system).
>=20
> I am asking this to get around the following problem (bug?) I =
encountered (tried both freeBSD 12.1 and freeNAS [11.2-U4 though =
11.3-RC2]):=20
> When booting, I get "gptzfsboot: error 128 lba some_block_number" =
errors in the phase when gptzfsboot is probing my data HDDs (on which =
there is no bootloader, nor system, the drives can be even empty, with =
or without a partition table).=20
> The system boots eventually but the boot takes cca N x 7 minutes, =
where N is the number of data disks gptzfsboot is trying to analyze =
(there are several gptzfsboot: error 128 lba some_block_number lines per =
disk and each takes some time to appear).
>=20
> Short of hacking the code, there's really no way to do this. It's a =
feature that it finds all the disks in the pool so we can boot off =
zraid.
> =20
> Note: installer CD boots the installer system just fine. Also, once =
the system is installed, and the system has booted from HDD (this takes =
~30 minutes with multiple  gptzfsboot: error 128 lba some_block_number =
for each disk) the system works just fine, including the very same data =
disks that "produce" the errors.=20
>=20
> Anyway, should this be reported as a bug?
>=20
> You should report this as a feature request. It's not a bug, per se, =
because we need to look for multiple drives in many cases. If you want =
it to only look at the one disk that the boot loader was loaded from, =
that would be your ask.
>=20
> The other ask is to be more tolerant of this situation. A 7 minute lag =
to probe a single drive is 7 minutes too long... That's clearly some =
kind of bug, but without poking at your system in more detail, it's hard =
to know for sure.
>=20
> Warner
> =20
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>=20
>=20
> Cheers, --Peter
>=20
>=20
> P.S.: When putting the drives in another PC, the behavior is the same, =
only gptzfsboot: error 128 lba some_block_number becomes gptzfsboot: =
error 32 [if I remember the number correctly] lba some_block_number.