Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 1997 01:11:04 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        gallatin@cs.duke.edu (Andrew Gallatin)
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: minor suggestion for 2.2 boot/fixit.flp

As Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> As the subject says, I have a minor suggestion for the 2.2 boot/fixit
> floppies -- It would be really nice to have the block and character
> devices files for the at least the partitions in the second slice of
> sd0 & wd0 in /dev on the boot floppy (and maybe sd1 & wd1, and all 4
> slices on each disk if there is room).

The boot floppies are always in serious lack of space, including
i-node space.  That's why many things are missing there.

With the fixit floppy, you can always refer to /mnt2/dev/something if
/dev/something isn't there -- the dev tree on the fixit floppy should
be much more complete to begin with (and since it's a static
filesystem on a floppy, you are free to customize it before using).

In addition, i've recently fixed the last remaining bug that prevented
MAKEDEV from running, so this should help you out if you're lost.
Sorry, it's simply impossible to satisfy all needs when being tight on
space.  5 `standard' slices (0 through 4) on 4 `standard' disks (wd0,
wd1, sd0, sd1) with 8 partitions each, in raw and buffered version
each, are 1280 i-nodes.  That's pretty much to begin with, and it
doesn't even cover extended slices (partitions).

--
cheers, J"org