Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 01:16:23 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Andrew Gould <AndrewGould@shannonhealth.org>
Cc:        Jonathan Hilgeman <JHilgeman@ecx.com>, "'freebsd@masspostroad.net'" <freebsd@masspostroad.net>, "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re:

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 05:53:42PM -0500, Andrew Gould wrote:
> I recall reading somewhere that daemon stood for "Disk And Execution
> MONitor."  I can't remember the source; so I don't know how valid the
> explanation is.

According to the Jargon File:  ( http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon )

   daemon /day'mn/ or /dee'mn/ n.

 [from the mythological meaning, later rationalized as the acronym Disk
 And Execution MONitor'] A program that is not invoked explicitly, but
 lies dormant waiting for some condition(s) to occur. The idea is that
 the perpetrator of the

<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013@student.uu.se