Date:      Tue, 1 Apr 1997 12:42:16 PST
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ports distfile survey

Folks,

  I'm doing an automated survey of port distfiles and their presence on
FTP servers.  Check out http://www.freebsd.org/~fenner/portsurvey/
and let me know what you think.  The FTP checker hasn't checked a whole
lot of files, and the summary on the top-level page showing just the
categories isn't very useful, but the per-category pages should be at
least a little useful.

  It's far from perfect, since it checks all DISTFILES at each MASTER_SITE
which is often not supposed to be the case.  It also doesnt check files
that the port fetches in a funky way (like the TeX ports).

  Let me know what you think.

  Bill