Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 00:59:19 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        phil grainger <freebsd@pronet.net.au>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: copyright

> well I appreciate from a theoretical point of view that the bsd copyright
> may be more pure,

If that's all you've taken from this conversation then you've
seriously missed the point.

> but if the present copyright makes programmers uncomfortable donating code,

It doesn't, at least not according to any of the actual programmers
I've talked to.  This debate seems more to be the province of
non-programmers who wouldn't know how to program their way out of a
paper bag, jumping on the ideological bandwagon because it's the only
way they know how to participate.  Those who can't code argue licenses
with those who do, or something like that.

> I think if you ask most freebsders if they understand the Berkeley
> copyright, they''ll probably be like me and say who cares!

Same goes for the GPL.  If you're not interested in licenses then
you're not interested in licenses, what's your point?

> maybe advocacy is becoming an irrelevent part of the freebsd project.

No, I just think your particular brand of it is irrelevant.  Genuine
advocacy, which doesn't trouble itself with license issues or anything
which isn't immediately germin to what the product actually DOES, is
still alive and well here in FreeBSD and definitely represents the
direction we need to be going in.

- Jordan