Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 23:05:42 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <oracle@bryden.apana.org.au>
To:        "Marc Silver" <marcs@draenor.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.2 kernel security / httpd issue

Thanks Marc

I'll persevere along that track :)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc Silver" <marcs@draenor.org>
To: "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
Cc: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2000 10:52 PM

> Hi there,
>
> I don't think it's BSD's securelevel that is causing this.  I would
> suggest that you look at /var/log/httpd-error.log (or wherever you're
> keeping your error log) as this is definitely an apache error.  In
> particular, take a look at the 'ServerName' directive in the httpd.conf
> file.
>
> - Marc
>
> On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 10:29:35PM +1000, Doug Young wrote:
> >

> > Would someone suggest where to find information on the various kernel
security levels available in 4.2 RELEASE ? I'm having trouble getting apache
to start ..... it keeps giving error messages saying "httpd could not start"
& fully qualified domain name could not be found" (the machine does have a
public IP & FQDN)

> > I don't recall having to mess with httpd.conf in earlier versions of
FreeBSD, so I'm wondering if maybe the kernel security level is somehow
responsible .

> > It looks like ipfw is installed, posibly by default when the higher
security levels are requested
> > (theres what looks like an "ipfw" executable), "ipfw' spits out a page
full of stuff, but theres nothing
> > about "ipfw" in "rc.conf
> >
> > I can't find anything that looks like a config file (maybe not relevant
to ipfw ??), "man ipfw" doesn't help because its pretty vague, & the
handbook isn't much better.

> > I've tried running "ipfw -a", "ipfw -t", "ipfw -N" plus combinations
thereof, but they don't appear to do anything.