Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2000 07:19:30 -0700
From:      Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sun's web site

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 22:11:19 +0530, Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in> wrote:
> (3) It is yet another counterexample of corporates disliking GPL
> software.  I hate these license wars and, after reading these lists
> for some time, I know I'm not alone (though I don't know what the
> percentages are). But a far-from-insignificant section of the BSD
> advocates enjoys flaming the GPL violently, at any provocation, in a
> way that seems to do more harm than good.  Lots of software being
> developed for linux is ported to BSD but not emphasised very much
> by the BSD community, and I think the licensing is part of the reason;
> why not get over this hangup, and use these things to promote BSD
> the same way they're promoting linux?

The bigotry comes as much from the GPL camp as the BSD camp. The
mozilla web page claims, non-GPL licenses are "obstacles for contribution
and reuse of code".

http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/mozilla-relicense-faq.html

Everyone in the world (including python, perl) and others who don't
necessarily agree with GPL have to become "GPL compatible" in order
to survive.

I see two reasons why BSD is a separate entity, as opposed to being
"merged" with linux (people may disagree here):

1. Different development model
2. Different licensing model

I think they're both equally important.

So the new corporate wisdom seems to be - a dead open source project
needs GPL in order to be revived. Let's see if the hypothesis can be
tested in the real world.

	-Arun