Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 1999 23:38:57 +0100
From:      "James A Wilde" <james.wilde@telia.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Programmers' editor?

> Brave man.  With "newbie",  I really meant somebody who hadn't used
> either editor.  I'm not trying to convert vi users.

No contest.  I'm not that much of a masochist that I'm going to start =
emacs a
third time.  First time, that joke about reboot was no joke.  Second =
time I=20
noted the instructions which flash past at start up on how to exit the =
damn=20
thing and after about five minutes of trying and not getting anywhereI =
used=20
the instructions and took myself out.

No doubt I have made enemies of a lot of people with that statement but=20
I think one has to consider the kind of use to which the editor is being =
put.
A programmer, wanting to hack a line and recompile or check that all=20
open parentheses have equivalent close parentheses, needs a working
environment and will probably be prepared to spend the time learning
something as complex as emacs.  I call myself a system administrator,=20
which will probably make many of you smile, but it means that the kind=20
of editing I do is poking around in named.conf or editing a make file to =

compile a port for my machine.  For that kind of job even vi is ott.

I'm glad the person who showed vi to me showed me :q! as the first=20
command I learnt.  I now have the list of instructions someone in here=20
was kind enough to send me on a post-it note on the monitor, where=20
most people have their password.  Most people probably think it is=20
my password!

Another problem I have is that I have two FreeBSD machines stuck=20
in a dusty corner of the server room to which I log on via ssh2, so all=20
the finesses of multiple virtual terminal windows and X are out - to be=20
sure I can have two ssh2 sessions open which is pretty much the=20
same thing, but fancy GUI editors are not available.  Sed appears to=20
be on the level of edlin.  And what, then is more natural at the=20
command prompt than typing vi <filename>?  Someone suggested=20
ee but it's already too late.  I won't say I'm happy with vi but, like =
so=20
many relationships, I'm beginning to be comfortable with it.=20

And now I'll have to go back and put CRLF in appropriate places in=20
this message so you'll all be able to read it.  <sigh>  Anyone know a
good mail program that formats mail for an 80 character terminal?  :)

mvh/regards

James