Date:      Thu, 01 Nov 2001 00:15:31 +0900
From:      Fuyuhiko Maruyama <fuyuhik8@is.titech.ac.jp>
To:        daichi@int.ongs.gr.jp
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quick survey of XIM and JDK on FreeBSD

Thank you GOTO-san,

I know what's happen with JDK 1.3.1 on FreeBSD pretty well.  So, I try
to write explanations on some issues.

1. I cannot write xwnmo handling codes at all because xwnmo have
   completely different semantics for on-spot-conversion(in XIM's
   word, XIMPreeditCallbacks) from other XIM servers(e.g. kinput2, vje
   and Solaris's htt).  In early September 2001, I had been hacking
   JDK 1.3.1 to support xwnmo and found the difference, then I request
   OMRON, the vendor of xwnmo, to tell me the semantics of xwnmo but
   they don't give me any meaningful information.

2. My patches for OpenMotif isn't the one to fix XIM input problem
   but to fix OpenMotif's internal problem.  Without patches, Java
   program using TextField like demo/applets/ArcTest causes
   Segmentation Fault soon when it run.

3. Your Notepad problem isn't enough clear for me to understand what's
   the problem because it works fine on my environment.  In fact, I
   added codes to guess what window manager is running and it includes
   a heuristics to check fvwm2 running that can mis-guess other WMs as
   fvwm2.  If zero sized Java window is appeared, it may be caused by
   such mis-guessing.  I will fix the problem case-by-case, so please
   tell me what window manager you use.

On 31 Oct 2001 09:09:42 -0000, daichi@int.ongs.gr.jp wrote:
(mega snip)

> In addition, there is 1976-1 problem of watanabe/wadalab
> font(/usr/ports/japanese/truetypefonts). I am trying to solve this
> problem by adding a dummy 1976-1 font to it. However, it has not solved
> yet. Please already wait for a while. (It seems that this font is added
> in Solaris. But I donot have it)
What's this?

--
Fuyuhiko MARUYAMA <fuyuhik8@is.titech.ac.jp>