Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 11:09:35 -0600
From:      peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Do we support > 32 drives yet?

>/*
>       3                   2                   1                   0
>     1 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0
>    _________________________________________________________________
>    | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
>    -----------------------------------------------------------------
>    |    TYPE     |UNIT_2 | SLICE   |  MAJOR?       |  UNIT   |PART |
>    -----------------------------------------------------------------
>*/

Other than hardcoding device numbers in the config file, is there any way of
tying a device to a particular bus/target/lun combination the way you can
in Digital UNIX and in System-V derived systems where this data is encoded
into the minor number? This seems to be a requirement if you want to be
able to hot-add drives. For example, I can plug a drive into a Storageworks
shelf on my DU box, and calculate the minor number for it from the bus,
target, and LUN (bus*K1+target*K2+lun)... on FreeBSD I'd have to prebuild
a kernel or preallocate a bunch of unused minors.

With an HSZ50 I can stick 12 shelves of drives on a single controller, for
84 drives per controller. We run these in JBOD mode because each project wants
to be able to keep a couple of disks "on the shelf" if necessary, ready to
slot in so they can get to work on a problem on a few minutes notice.

Digital UNIX has a terrific SCSI subsystem, but it looks like FreeBSD is
dogging its heels. This is one of the things keeping DU ahead.