Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 2000 12:30:24 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "Richard A. Steenbergen" <ras@e-gerbil.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Auto-scaling socket buffers

>IDEA:
>
>Which leads to my idea. Automatically scale the socket buffer when the TCP
>window is exausted and the reason it cannot be extended is the sockbuf.
>This would allow the default recvspace/sendspace to be set to something
>like 4k, but still allow performance sockets to quickly scale upwards to a
>set limit, to achieve maximium thruput.

   This idea sounds familiar and I think it has been suggested before. It
does seem like a good idea. One concern that I have is the case of a saturated
local (ethernet) circuit, causing the delay to increase due to buffering
in the network device driver and perhaps in the nearby upstream switches.
Since the problem is lack of bandwidth that is causing the delay to increase,
it seems that the new algorithm would behave badly - increasing the socket
buffer space on all connections needlessly. In other words, it might be a bad
assumption that delay is caused by speed of light lag when it might instead be
caused by network congestion which isn't helped by increasing the amount of
buffering.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Manufacturer of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.