Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 12:30:29 -0400
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@technokratis.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vx, lge, nge, dc, rl, sf, sis, sk, vr, wb users please TEST

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 12:03:59AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
[...]
> > > Are these changes really necessary for the Alpha to work?
> >
> >         Absolutely.
>
> I wouldn't exactly say "absolutely", unless you are actually
> measuring significant faulting as a result; I would say that
> they are harmless.

	Oh, I think I wasn't too clear above. When I said "page fault" I meant
"fatal page fault" (i.e. the address space isn't even mapped, it may even sit
in another submap of kmem_map). It's not a problem right now because the mbuf
allocator allocates "sequentially" from the base of mb_map. So let's say
we have a cluster in a page X, where X > mb_map_base. Then, we're guaranteed
that all Y, where X > Y > mb_map_base consists of already wired-down pages,
so we're safe. Actually, now that I think about it, if we just so happen to
hit the mbuf on the first page in mb_map and the space before that is not
mapped, then we may see this too - but it's very unlikely.
	As I mentionned previously, instead of just having `mb_map' where
clusters and mbufs are allocated from, in the new allocator I have a
`mbuf_map' and a `clust_map.' So, when the data being bcopy()'d comes from
the first cluster of clust_map, and the previous space is unmapped, the
fault is a sure thing and we'll end up crashing.

> I was just a bit nervous, since I had a long conversation
> with Bill on this and other nasty topics (e.g. I want to

	Yeah, hehe. As you mentionned above, Bill *is* the "network driver
God." :-)

> add a new function to the list of externally accessible
> functions exported by all ethernet drivers; more on that
> later, after the code is happy).

	Cool.

> -- Terry

Later,