Date:      Sat, 03 Oct 1998 10:32:12 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        ulf@Alameda.net
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0-19980930-BETA, Tyan TomCat II Dual P5-166 is having problems

Hi,

> Ok, I moved the Intel card from slot 4 to slot 2 and the IRQs got
> swapped (GFX had 17, now 19. Fxp had 19, now 17). No more problems
> with the amount of interrupts.

This sounds like flakey hardware...

> APIC_IO: Testing 8254 interrupt delivery
> APIC_IO: Broken MP table detected: 8254 is not connected to IO APIC int pin 2
> APIC_IO: routing 8254 via 8259 on pin 0
> SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
>
> I am getting the same APIC_IO message with and without the fxp card.

This is acceptable.  I originally believed that this situation meant that
there was NO physical path on the board from 8254 to APIC pin #2, and that
the statement to the contrary (ie that there is) in the mptable meant
a defective mptable.  I now suspect that the issue might be that something
in the motherboard chipset is improperly set, and if we could determine what
that was we could program it and skip the redirection of the 8254 thru the
PIC (not APIC) as we now do in this case.  However, none of the SMP systems
I have access to exhibit this behaviour so I can't be the one to chase it.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by