Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 02:01:50 -0400
From:      "Robert S. Wojciechowski Jr." <robertw@wojo.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Missing ipmon pid file on startup only

I'm having a problem with ipmon on startup, here are the relevant
/etc/rc.conf settings:

ipfilter_enable=3D"YES"
ipfilter_rules=3D"/etc/ipf.rules"
ipfilter_flags=3D""
ipmon_enable=3D"YES"
ipmon_flags=3D"-Dv -P /var/run/ipmon.pid /var/log/firewall"

When I reboot the machine and check /var/run, there is no ipmon.pid =
file.
Killing ipmon and restarting with the flags in ipmon_flags then starts =
it
correctly with the pid file created.

I noticed this problem when newsyslog was e-mailing me with the =
following
error:

newsyslog: can't open /var/run/ipmon.pid pid file to restart a daemon: =
No
such file or directory
newsyslog: log /var/log/firewall not compressed because daemon not =
notified

Any reason why the pid file doesn't get created when the system starts =
up?

Thank!

- Robert