Date:      Fri, 3 Oct 1997 12:50:14 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Seamless nomadic e-mail access

John Polstra scribbled this message on Oct 3:
> I use exmh to read my mail, and I like it pretty well.  Now I'm
> starting to travel some, so I'm looking for the best way to access
> my mail when I'm on the road.  The raw MH commands leave me cold.
> I tried running exmh on the local machine with the display going
> over a PPP link to the X server on my laptop.  That's really too
> slow to be reasonable, surprise surprise.

is exmh a Xclient?  I've never used it... personally, I currently us
mutt as it does threading (which is invaluable when you deal with so
many different subjects, etc)...  it is also MUCH faster than pine
at opening the inbox, and much less memory intensive...

right now if I had a 4-5 meg inbox, pine would take like 24+megs of
ram..  with my 8meg inbox now, mutt only takes up 2.4megs...

> What I'd like to do is to be able to access my mail more or less
> interchangeably whether I'm on my main machine or on my laptop.  IMAP
> seems ideal for that.  But as far as I can tell, the only Unix MUA
> that works with IMAP is Pine.  I'm looking into Pine and it might turn
> out to be just fine for my needs.  But I thought I'd ask what others
> do about this.  In particular, have any of you found a way to use exmh
> with IMAP?

I just suffer, and run mutt across the link...  mutt is good about
not flushing data from the input buffer (I believe pine does this when
you resume, it will flush the input buffer)...  so you don't have to
guess when pine resumed and you can start sending commands again... :)

personally.. there should be an option that only brings up NEW messages,
and possibly all message belonging in that thread.. I'm pretty sure that
imap will do the former, but I don't think you can do the latter without
scanning the whole box...  if this were possible, I'd be VERY happy...

ttyl..
--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD