Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 11:28:41 -0500
From:      david mankins <dm@k12-nis-2.bbn.com>
To:        rmellis@genie.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.0 and pccards

   Date: 17 Dec 1998 13:55:16 -0000
   Subject: FreeBSD 3.0 and pccards
   From: rmellis@genie.co.uk

   Hi,

   I've installed 3.0 on a laptop and have been trying to get pccardd
   to run. The error message I get is "no entry in database for
   ""(""). I copied the entry from pccard.conf.sample into
   pccard.conf. Its for a 3c589D ethernet card on a TI PCI-1131
   CardBus controller.  Does anyone have any tips?

(I'm not running 3.0, but just had the same problem under 2.2.6.)

It's unable to read the configuration information from your card (the
message should read something like:

	``No entry in database for "<manufacturer>" ("<thing>")''

Look at your PCMCIA card's manual to figure out whether you've got the
right IRQ and memory locations (the ones in pccard.conf.sample may not
be correct for your device).

For example, here's a tweaked pccard.conf file:

# list of addresses the Wavelan card will accept
io	0x300 - 0x370

			# Your hardware may want different addresses here

# List of IRQs the Wavelan card can handle
irq	3 4 5 7 9 10 11 12 14 15

			# I bet this information is correct, though it
			# is overridden by the line below that
			# specifies an IRQ

memory 0xdf000 96k

			# This address may differ for your PCMCIA
			# card, too.

card "Digital" "RoamAbout/DS"
config 0x1 "wlp0" 11
			# The ``11'' in this line overrides the range
			# of IRQs above (maybe change this so you
			# don't have any IRQ conflicts?)
ether wavelan
        insert blah blah blah
	remove blah blah blah