Date:      Wed, 04 Apr 2001 15:16:31 -0400
From:      Erik Rothwell <erothwell@callgtn.com>
To:        michael@tenzo.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing XFree86-4.0.3

Michael O'Henly wrote:

> I'm planning to install KDE 2.1.1 in the next day or so and want to upgrade
> to XFree86-4.0.3 first.
>
> Since I'm new to FreeBSD, can you please tell me whether I'm going about this
> the right way?
>
> 1. Remove XFree86-3.36_7 by going to /usr/ports/x11/XFree86 and doing a "make
> uninstall".
>
> Will this remove every trace of the older package? Will it leave the
> configuration files for my system?
>
> 2. Do a "make install clean" in /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4.
>
> Is this all that's necessary to install the new version?
>
> What is the command for invoking the graphical xfree86config utility? Or is
> it necessary to do this again once I've configured the older version?
>
> Thanks!

Here's how I did it...

I first made a backup of my old X installation (just to be safe ;)):

tar -cf /usr/X11R6.tar /usr/X11R6/

Then, I went "cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4 && make install clean"

For the most part, everything went ok. I've had problems using TrueType
fonts with the freetype/xtt rendering modules (let me know how that
goes, btw ;))... I checked XFree86's website and their instructions for
doing a Linux install/upgrade involve installing over the old
installation... based on that, I figured it would be kosher to install
the port directly on top of the old X...

To keep the old XF86Config settings, I just cp'd /etc/XF86Config to
XF86Config.bak and said NO to installing config files under /etc/X11...
but... that was just preference, /etc/X11 is more secure I believe (so
you can load one from a readonly mountpoint or somesuch...)

The new X configuration utility is xf86cfg, it's much nicer than
XF86Setup... if you're a purist, the command line utility still works
too... (xf86config.) X does most of the detecting of video modes and
stuff automagically... but for best results hand adjustment still
appears necessary.

Hope that helps :)

Cheers,
Erik.