Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 00:41:12 +0200
From:      "IBS / Andre Oppermann" <andre@pipeline.ch>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Routing thru a FreeBSD?

Tony Li wrote:
-snip-
> Ob FreeBSD: The point here is that at some point, when you need many
> hundreds of thousands of PPS of forwarding, normal processors just
> fail to
> provide the necessary speed.  Note that for most situations, this is
> not
> necessary.  A heavily hacked FreeBSD system can get around 100Kpps.
> Of
> course at this point, you also run out of PCI bandwidth, so you've
> maxed
> out the rest of the hardware too.

Thats right, but what we need at this moment are systems that can
handle up to 20-30Kpps (4 times 100BaseT at maximum load). And that is
what FreeBSD supports on good hardware. So we can run two or three
T3's out of one box for 10k$ (costs at least 70k$ with cisco).

--
Andre Oppermann

CEO / Geschaeftsfuehrer
Internet Business Solutions Ltd. (AG)
Hardstrasse 235, 8005 Zurich, Switzerland
Fon +41 1 277 75 75 / Fax +41 1 277 75 77
http://www.pipeline.ch    ibs@pipeline.ch