Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 15:46:44 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Printer accounting on HP4050?

On 27-Jul-00 Micke Josefsson wrote:
> How do I count the number of pages printed from each user? I have looked
> in
> the Handbook but pac(8) seems only to do line printer accounting which is
> not practical when sending .ps files to our HP4050 printer.
>

> I really only want to have a general idea if a particular user starts
> printing huge jobs, but having a print limit of say 50 sheets would also
> be
> nice. How does one do this?
>
> /Micke

As a followup to my posting above: I cant get normal printing accounting to
work either:(

When running lpf by hand it correctly makes an entry in /var/account which
can be seen by pac(8). But when /usr/libexec/lpr/lpf is used in
/etc/printcap nothing happens. I have set "af", "pw" and "pl" to reasonable
values:

carnegie|lp|difk:\
        :if=/usr/libexec/lpf:\
        :sh:af=/var/account/carnegie_acct:\
        :pw#77:\
        :pl#58:\
        :rm=192.168.0.253:sd=/var/spool/output/carnegie:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

I have also tried making a simple awk-script for relaying stdin to stdout
and put it in place for lpf but then it actually fights back on me. lpf is
very silent about its doings.

So, tips anyone?
/M

Michael Josefsson, MSEE