Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2001 20:44:52 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        rjesup@wgate.com, Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca (Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems\ Group), jar@integratus.com (Jack Rusher), areilly@bigpond.net.au (Andrew Reilly), jkh@osd.bsdi.com (Jordan Hubbard), jonathan@graehl.org, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: configuration files, XML?

In message <200103271847.LAA12668@usr05.primenet.com>, Terry Lambert
writes:
> I'm going to be shot, but...
>
> > >I think it has less to do with offending people than having an O/S that
> > >is compatible with the other UNIX O/S's out there.  For example,
> > >syslog.conf, services, protocols, inetd.conf, to name a few can be
> > >maintained and copied to FreeBSD, Linux (excepting inetd.conf),
> >
> >         This is a very good point.
>
> And the rc files.  BSD is gratuitously different.

This is going to sound like sacrilege and inflammatory, especially to a
BSD crowd, however most of what is out there, Solaris, AIX, DG-UX,
Tru64-UNIX (in a weird sort of way), just to name a couple, try to
conform the the SYSV standard.  Not that I'm proposing that we do this
now but it might be a good idea to have two init's, one for BSD and the
other for SYSV compatibility or to have our init be able to optionally
behave SYSV-like through some flag or #ifdef.  I'm not proposing
scrapping our init or its default behaviour.

I'm not just talking about rc files but run levels and init's
management of process creation & termination.  However I would be happy
with just the rc file structure, only because it helps me leverage my
time better across platforms.  /etc/rc.d might be a good place to start.

This is something I've been thinking a lot about over the last couple
of years and I've been pondering implementing this idea using a port
initially and subsequently presenting it to this list for discussion
someday.  Of course if the FreeBSD community doesn't want it, it would
be a total waste of time.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC