Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 10:01:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
To:        Bill Hamilton <billh@finsco.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install eats 95

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Bill Hamilton wrote:

> If I let it install, it appears that it will clobber ide drive and
> swallow windows whole.

Is that necessarily a bad thing ???  :)

> The ide is western digital.
> The scsi is Quantum Atlas running off of an Ataptec 2940.
>
> Is the install buggy, or am I doing something wrong?

When you're booting from the FreeBSD install floppy, did you make sure to
enable support for your SCSI Controller?  When you boot from it, be sure
to choose "Start kernel configuration in full-screen visual mode", and
then remove unneeded drivers until the number of conflicts at the top of
your screen drops down to 0.  You'll want to remove everything except for
the two "IDE/ESDI/MFM disk controller"'s (and whatever else you may have)
under "Storage" in the "Active Drivers" section.  The SCSI controllers
listed there are only for ISA SCSI controllers, and your 2940 is PCI.  If
you have others enabled, they might conflict and cause your 2940 not to be
detected.  You'll also want to be sure to remove any inappropriate network
drivers, input devices, and communications devices, as these can also lead
to conflicts.  Once you're not showing any conflicts, Save and Exit and
your 2940 should be detected.  And once that's detected, you should be
able to see your SCSI hard drive.

Hope that helps!