Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 18:38:40 -0600
From:      "Jason Young" <doogie@anet-stl.com>
To:        "Robert" <robert@namodn.com>, "Paul Stewart" <pstewart@kawartha.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: You Have New Mail

To my knowledge, the "you have new mail" notification just checks to see if
the modification time of the mail spool has changed since it last looked.
When the POP daemon messes with the mail spool, it changes the mtime.

The best way to deal with that is probably just to shut up the new mail
notification feature entirely (dependent on your shell, read the manpage).

Jason Young
ANET Chief Network Engineer