Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2000 15:02:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
To:        Tom Collins <oljeep.collins@gte.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, mbertsch@oreilly.com
Subject:   Re: interested in writing articles...

> Personally, I'd like to see a good article on configuring a
> mailserver, like how to get sendmail, qpopper & fetchmail or
> procmail all working together properly  in a "newbie"
> oriented type of style.
> Personally I've gone thru the faq at sendmail.org and many
> "how-to" sites about this process and most are either
> missing some key info or are directed toward users that have
> been using unix for years.

The problem with alot of documentation in the computer field is and for
years has been the assumption by the author that you already know
everything and are just looking up a forgotten detail. (whether its a
conscious decision or not)

I THINK its just the regular human tendency to assume what assumables are,
and due to the fact that software authors often have to write those
things, and that software authors are not necesarily in an environment
where alot of their resultant end users are.  (A good example of the
latter issue is just the design of smtp itself and security issues
arising from the change of its use from universities and govt offices to
the commercial arena)