Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 14:48:43 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "The Clark Family" <res03db2@gte.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: how to boot from DPT SCSI host adaptor ??

> Some nice person from the list could cut you a custom boot floppy.

Ahhhhhhh ..... is that how its supposed to be done ?? I've just fired the
AST
box up a few minutes ago & trying FTP install . The DPT card isn't listed in
the regular kernel config menu so I'm leaving all the SCSI adaptors in so
hopefully one will work in some sort of fashion until I can try messing with
the kernel. Its found the NIC and looking for ftp.freebsd.org now, so it
will
be verrrrrrrrrrry interesting to see if I can fix the kernel before
re-booting

> I haven't done so myself, but if no one else offers to help, let me
> know. I can try.
>
> [RC]
>
> On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Doug Young wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to install 4.0 RELEASE in an AST Premium SE 4/50d fitted with
> > a DPT SCSI host adaptor. This system is SCSI only (hard drives & CD-ROM)
> > ..... there doesn't appear to be any provision for IDE drives. I'm aware
> > that the
> > generic kernel doesn't support this thing (attempts to install stall
when
> > its looking
> > for drives), but DPT cards are listed in both generic & lint files ....
so
> > obviously
> > there's meant to be some sort of support for them. The problem as I see
it
> > is
> > essentially a "chicken & egg" one .................. *exactly* how does
one
> > go about
> > installing the operating system in the first place so that there's a
kernel
> > source
> > available to edit & compile ??
> >
> > I guess if DPT support could be somehow configured into the boot
floppies
> > then at least install would be able to see the hard drives & CD-ROM, but
> > in the absence of any info on that I can't imagine where to start.
Another